Hooray Keen! They make great terrain shoes. When I say that I mean they make shoes that are versatile on any ground. They grip rock at extreme inclines even when the rain is pouring from thundering clouds directly above; they protect the bones in your feet while trudging down river; they will protect your toes when you kick a moose (in self defense). Backpacking Review does not condone wild animal abuse… or any animal abuse.
These shoes have a stable sole. Because of the webbing and mesh that allow for water flow in and out, and the ability of large river rocks to cause slipping and ankle rolling, I have used these shoes a lot for water walking. Fly-fishing on the South Fork of the Boise, or hiking up the Zion Narrows, these are my go-to-shoe. It’s nothing if your toes get jammed down between some mossy rocks, the patented Keen toe protection does work. Throw on some wool ankle socks and you got yourself a dandy cross-terrain hiking shoe. The shoes remain comfortable with water, and dry quickly and return to a hiking shoe.
And who doesn’t love a shoe with no pesky laces? Just a one-time pull on the capture system and seconds are shaved off your trip, and tedium. This is especially useful in water should they become loose.
These shoes are great for backcountry. I no longer carry sandals for water inundation, and don’t need a “dry pair” of shoes because these shoes quick dry. Buy these guys if you are looking for a rugged trail and water shoe. There are few that rival their quality, versatility, and durability.
- Upper: washable, waterproof leather, webbing and mesh
- Lining: nylon and hydrophobic mesh with Aegis Microbe Shield®
- Lacing: secure foot lace capture system
- Footbed: removable metatomical footbed
- Midsole: torsion stability ESS shank
- Midsole: S3 Heel support structure
- Midsole: S3 (Shock Suspension, and Stability) supports foot on impact, dissipates shock and reduces twisted ankles
- Outsole: non-marking rubber with 4 mm Multi-directional lugs
- Patented toe protection
- Fit tip: Keen advises this style runs a teeny bit big
- Weight per shoe: 14.6 oz, 414 g